Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Food For Thought

In the past 5 years I have made changes in the way our family thinks about food, what we eat, & where it comes from.  This actually started with my husband.  He thought he was over weight, so he starting eating 'better', going to the gym, & subscribing to Men's Health.  That's where our families healthier lifestyle came to be.  He was borderline annoying with his frequent flyer miles to the gym, 'healthier' recipes, & feeling and looking better than I was.  He was winning this one!  We are a tad competitive so I had do some something, anything to win this one.  Fast forward about 5ish years, we are both on the same page....we both won that race!  We realized our new 'healthier' lifestyle, which included what we put into our mouths, how we cooked it, where it came from, & frequent reading of the ingredient labels we would be ahead of the game.

This past summer I had 3 gardens & grew loads of fresh food.  I did a lot of canning and freezing.  We are in the process of raising our own chickens, but that most likely will not happen until this spring.  A local farmer has offered for us to purchase beef from him, so we are trying to make that work.  FYI..we have purchased beef from a farmer in the past & let me tell you it is about 783 times better (taste, nutrition, flavor, & local!) than anything you can buy at a grocery store.  Note, not that you shouldn't buy from a grocery store but for me fresh, local beef is a no brainer.    Now to find a pork farmer.  Can you say bacon?  Seriously, bacon is one of the perfect foods.  Sliced, chunked, salty, crunchy, fry it, bake it, or grill it.  It's perfect on potatoes, chicken, top of green beans, Sunday   any day brunch, eggs...all right I think you get the idea.

Sorry Service Food, I still love you & somehow frequent your store almost daily,  I've grown accustomed to growing and loving my own food.

My mouth is dreaming of some bacon.   Must go to the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment