Saturday, November 20, 2010

What? Fried Burgers?

Fried burgers?  No way!  I am a die hard grill woman.  A burger is grilled on a charcoal grill.  Gas grills are for sissies lazy people!  There is no other way.  I grill as many nights of the week as I can.  And, yes, even in the winter.  I saw some burgers on a show the other day and thought oh my goodness they look delicious, BUT they were fried.  Yeah, fried as in on a pan.  The other loud, loud gasp I had watching that show is that the cook 'smashed' the burgers.  A burger is never, ever to be smashed.  All the goodness is smashed out when you do that.  So, I said to myself.  Self, keep an open mind & try these.  I watched the show, and they did not give me the recipe.  How dare them?  I wrote down what they said they used for ingredients and what I thought they didn't say.  I went free style and guessed on all measurements.  Oh my goodness (or OMG for all you youngsters), these were the best burgers I have ever made!  Every one in my family said the same exact statement.  It was as if all the planets were aligned, because it really is a rare occasion when everyone is in complete 100% agreement.
I would love to have my own burger restaurant one day, so when  my ship comes in and my joint is open this will be on the menu.  So, my apologizes I can not give you my recipe.  It is top secret.  I will tell you that I made a basil pesto mayo w/a few special ingredients that was the star of the burger.  And, the burgers were fried with onions seasoned with about 9 spices, delicious!


2 comments:

  1. These burgers were awesome and I can't wait to have them again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay lady, if you are the grilling type then I have a treat for you. The following is a recipe that is a STAPLE for any grilled meat, but is particularly unbelievable on burgers. Adjust the heat to your liking, but after this, there is no going back:

    Spicy Scallion Paste

    Work a little of this into ground meat, chops or steaks for incredible flavor.

    Makes 1/4 cup

    4 scallions, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 fresh habanero pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt

    Combine the scallions with the garlic, pepper, lemon zest and cayenne, mashing lightly with back of spoos. Stir in olive oil and salt.

    Keeps in fridge for two days.

    It's awesome on sandwiches as well.

    I'm kind of famous for this, it's my go to grilling out shock and awe item:) But...you are a true foodie so you should have it too.

    ReplyDelete