Monday, January 17, 2011

Mozzarella Bread

I've been wanting to try this recipe for months, so since I had nothing to do today (yeah, right!) I thought I'd give it a whirl.  The name really should be blue cheese bread with a little mozzarella & onion thrown in, just because I am a huge blue lover!  This bread has a lovely mixture of flavors and a nice crispy, crunchy, light bread to hold it all together.  I made this while the boys (aka; husband and son) were out doing man stuff.  The aroma alone is enough to make you want to take it out of the oven & eat it before it is done!  I couldn't stop eating it, really I had to say out loud I need to stop eating!

Going with the theme of the blog, this is homemade.  What?  I heard you say bread is too time consuming.  Yeah, it is but once you try it you'll be sold.  The bread & onion is the only two ingredients that were homemade this time around.  If  I could make my own cheese I would!  My hubby says I don't need to attempt that, there is plenty of good cheese at the store!  He meant that in a good way.

Here are the pics and recipe below.




Mozzarella Bread

1/2 C warm water (about 110 degrees)
1/4 oz yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 C + 1/8 C flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp evoo
1 med. onion sliced
7 oz. mozzarella cheese
4 oz. blue cheese
pinch white pepper
pinch sugar
pinch basil, oregano, parsley


1.  In a bowl combine, water, yeast & sugar.
2.  Stir until yeast is dissolved.
3.  Cover bowl & set in warm location for about 10 minutes.
4.  In medium bowl, four flour & make a well in the center.
5.  Pour yeast mixture into the well.
6.  Stir until mixed together (I use my hands), just about to the end of mixing add the salt.
7.  Put dough on a floured surface.
8.  Add evoo to dough
9.  Knead dough for about 5-8 minutes.  You will feel the dough changing, becoming more smooth.
10.  Cover dough with a bit of evoo all over, place in a large bowl.
11.  Cover dough with a towel and place in a warm location until doubled in volume.
12.  Roll out dough into a rectangle shape.
13.  Spread mozzarella over dough, onions, blue cheese
14.  Add the seasonings:  white pepper, sugar, basil, oregano, & parsley
15.  Bake for about 10-15 minutes at 400.  Take out when cheese is nicely melted, I like mine a bit on the brownish crunchy side, so mine was probably in for 15-18.  

1 comment: